What can I do differently?

After a full day at work, I try to come home and rest or get a nap. After I wake up though, I feel so stiff and sore I can barely move. It's actually worse than when I get up in the morning. I think that I'm sleeping better at night since I started resting during the day. I don't know why I feel so stiff and sore?? I am on my feet most of the day in a warehouse, and I have some swelling in my legs and feet.

Hi Trisha,

I know about stiffness, and a warm bath and some gentle stretches help me. My Rheumatologist also game me Valium to loosen me up a bit, seems to work better than most muscle relaxers anyway, once you are home, might do the trick for you!

My Chiropractor helps too, helps put things back where they are supposed to be! Hope you get some relief!

Wishing you WELL,

SK

Hello Trisha,

I always sleep well at night because i'm on meds that fully knock me out but if i drop off otherwise...like yourself i always feel worse and i can't take a bath like SK (susan) mentioned because of my seizures as i panic so we only have a shower....but a good warm bath with added salt can do wonders plus salt great for your skin.

With Lupus you'll always be in this situation as sometimes it's a losing battle as we try our best plus it's how strong it's working in your body.

I wish you the best and all my love Terry xxx

Richard besides making you stiff pillows are excellent with 2 underneath your legs to also stop DVT from forming as that's another issue Lupus loves developing besides it coming on naturally.

richard.gaskins said:

Hi Trisha,

I have suggested to my wife sometimes (before napping)is to place a pillow under her legs and or feet.

Also beware of your AC, it can make you get stiff as well.

Good luck and hang in there LUPUS WARRIOR

Richard

For the swelling you can cut out the sodium/salt. Put your feet up as often as u possibly can! I know the feeling about the feeling worst after a nap, but you just need that nap... it sucks and for that I am honestly lost! maybe see if the length of the nap makes a difference... idk. I dont get naps very often.

Oh, Richard, I know about those A/Cs! They can 'lock me up' quicker than anything! Nice to hear a man realize that! Could you talk to my hubs about that? LOL!! I turn them down or off, he turns them up or on!

richard.gaskins said:

Hi Trisha,

I have suggested to my wife sometimes (before napping)is to place a pillow under her legs and or feet.

Also beware of your AC, it can make you get stiff as well.

Good luck and hang in there LUPUS WARRIOR

Richard

Susan with A/C's you mays well be outside in the freezing cold waiting to stiffen.

You don't need Richard to chat to your hubby, just use the old frying pan mate it's alot quicker method and your body can setle in piece.lol

SK said:

Oh, Richard, I know about those A/Cs! They can 'lock me up' quicker than anything! Nice to hear a man realize that! Could you talk to my hubs about that? LOL!! I turn them down or off, he turns them up or on!

richard.gaskins said:

Hi Trisha,

I have suggested to my wife sometimes (before napping)is to place a pillow under her legs and or feet.

Also beware of your AC, it can make you get stiff as well.

Good luck and hang in there LUPUS WARRIOR

Richard

Wouldn't be the first time I shook that at him! LOL!! Those ole frying pans are multi-purpose!

Richard,

That's a great idea about the pillows. I didn't even consider the AC - that's got to be it. It was over 103 with a heat index of 115 at work, and I came home just wiped out. My husband works outside all day and he likes the house comfortable. I guess I should have covered up or taken a nap in bed instead of the recliner.

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions!

Trisha



richard.gaskins said:

Hi Trisha,

I have suggested to my wife sometimes (before napping)is to place a pillow under her legs and or feet.

Also beware of your AC, it can make you get stiff as well.

Good luck and hang in there LUPUS WARRIOR

Richard

OMG susan you have made me laugh....it does them good for knocking the marbles back into gear.lol

SK said:

Wouldn't be the first time I shook that at him! LOL!! Those ole frying pans are multi-purpose!

Good, gotta keep you laughing, girlfriend!

Tez_20 said:

OMG susan you have made me laugh....it does them good for knocking the marbles back into gear.lol

SK said:

Wouldn't be the first time I shook that at him! LOL!! Those ole frying pans are multi-purpose!

Well i have'nt woke up laughing this morning at 7am severe joint pain and spasms....christ how i wished i could loose my legs sometimes and my one finger off the raynauds....i could scream.xxx

Hi sunrisetrisha, sorry to hear this and hope that you feel better soon !!! Wel of course dealing with and having this LUPUS stuff that' part of it - make the best of it and keep moving , don't let a little stiffness get to you . Teach your body to fight through it (unless it is really bad - then of course take a time out break ) , from everything!!!! I've had to stop working due to i just could not hold nothing in my hands nor sit for long time ( could not take it anymore) but really hate that i can't work !!!! it get boring sitting at home daily... Do what you got to do and make sure that you get alot of REST . take care and feel better .... Beverly L.

I hope you are better this morning? I understand how you feel, one sleepless night for me like last night and I pay for it this morning as well. I was just diagnosed at 50, and until a year ago I few symptons - nothing that sent me a doctor. In fact, I've gone along most of my adult life without a primary care doctor, I rarely got sick. I had pneumonia right after my mother died 4 years ago, and that was probably my first flare. It took tendonitis to send me to a doctor and I didn't even think anything about it when I told him how tired I was. He took the clues and ordered some blood work, and here I am!

Tez_20 said:

Well i have'nt woke up laughing this morning at 7am severe joint pain and spasms....christ how i wished i could loose my legs sometimes and my one finger off the raynauds....i could scream.xxx

Hello Trisha,

I woke up this morning no so early but relaxed from the spasms, yesterday i had 2000mg of paracetamol to help the pain in my legs but it's worse in the left from when i had DVT as i've got broken blood vessels that don't stop breaking....i type in gloves with my raymauds that's why my spelling's mess half the time.

Don't think i'm being ignorant because i'm not but at 50 to be diagnosed that's when you want your live abit simplar to enjoy...your 6yrs older than myself.

I've had pneumonia 3 times and pleurisy twice but on the 2nd tome of pneumonia i had pleurisy joint with it, i'm surprised i'm still here, i was diagnosed 5yrs ago and was born with it but where you usually suffer lupus flares etc then it can cause seizures/strokes/ DVT etc later on, instead it's worked visa versa w8th me the rheumo said, so after facing all my other issues and making myself realize that's it these are things i deal with, which i did in the end, it's then topped with Lupus and many more issues.

I'm waiting to see another rheumo but no appointments come yet, they do make you wait in the uk...so annoying mate.

All my love to you Terry xxx

P.S Sorry for rambling on.

I think, The constant on your feet and possibly lifting items in a warehouse, causes stress to the body and when you rest the joints begin to flare. See if you can get an office job under ADA or take short term disability from your job for a few months to figure out your next move then return to work.

I have to rest more in the summer when I am off, then ripping around, because I know the heat, movement and strain on the body will cause a flare.

Hi Trisha,

Standing on concrete floors in a warehouse too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, is going to make you tired! It takes so much energy just to be there, then add the work and stress...

Wear the best shoes you can, if you can find the right store, go to one that measures your foot, them them your particular challenges, and they can help you hold up a little better. By all means drink plenty of water, gatorade, even Pedialite if you have to.

Hope this helps you,

SK

SK,

I went to an Orhtopedics doctor for my tendonitis, and I have a ruptured tendon I'm dealing with. He prescribed orthotics for my shoes which were made for me, and my brother-in-law works at the shoe store so I kinda get special treatment when I go there LOL. I try to sit at my work station as much as possible.

Unshoreandscared,

I'm not qualified for an office job at my current employer, I'm over 30 and they won't even consider me for anything. I've been told I'm not qualified for a position that I have 25 years experience so I don't even try anymore. I am going to Vocational Rehabilitation to see if they can help me for training, and then I'll go from there.


Terry,

Yes, I am torn between still wanting to work or thinking about retiring. My husband likes that idea, because when I come home for work I might have enough energy to make supper but neglect my housecleaning because I'm just beat. We are just taking it one day at a time, and not jumpinng into any decisions just yet.

Trisha
Tez_20 said:

Hello Trisha,

I woke up this morning no so early but relaxed from the spasms, yesterday i had 2000mg of paracetamol to help the pain in my legs but it's worse in the left from when i had DVT as i've got broken blood vessels that don't stop breaking....i type in gloves with my raymauds that's why my spelling's mess half the time.

Don't think i'm being ignorant because i'm not but at 50 to be diagnosed that's when you want your live abit simplar to enjoy...your 6yrs older than myself.

I've had pneumonia 3 times and pleurisy twice but on the 2nd tome of pneumonia i had pleurisy joint with it, i'm surprised i'm still here, i was diagnosed 5yrs ago and was born with it but where you usually suffer lupus flares etc then it can cause seizures/strokes/ DVT etc later on, instead it's worked visa versa w8th me the rheumo said, so after facing all my other issues and making myself realize that's it these are things i deal with, which i did in the end, it's then topped with Lupus and many more issues.

I'm waiting to see another rheumo but no appointments come yet, they do make you wait in the uk...so annoying mate.

All my love to you Terry xxx

P.S Sorry for rambling on.