Unexplainable Feelings

Hello, I have been feeling a sense of unrest full aniety. This may sound weird but I will explain the feeling of my body, this is not the first time. I have pain in my legs, a need to stretch my legs, tired but can’t sleep very restless and and can not find a comfortable position to rest. I have not been sleeping well as I use to with the help of tramadol. I am almost two post op from back surgery (healing well) and I am in therapy now. I have been very cold , like too the bone cold(it has been warm here in VA).
I have tried camomile tea bath then bed with no success. I feel like I want a massage but to rub my body hurts. I don’t know if this warrants a call to the doctor or can anyone offer suggestion or have had similar feelings. Also any sleep aides that work well for those with sleeping issues. Thanks

Sherita

Sometimes a very hot bath or shower helps numb my joint and muscle pain and helps me sleep when I am feeling restless and in pain like you describe. When I was on prednisone I felt the way you describe. When I have a fever and or the chills I get into bed under my electric blanket and wear a hat to bed to keep warm. I know that these solutions seem too simple but sometimes little things can help.

I have restless legs syndrome where I have to move my legs around in bed constantly untill I feel like they are comfy … If I don’t move them they hurt and feel really uncomfortable… The smell of lavender can help aid sleep if you burn lavender oil or have a lavender bath :slight_smile: :slight_smile: it helps with nausea aswell and depression it makes me feel good :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I also find if I can’t sleep If I listen to relaxing music it helps and also a warm drink of milk apparently is good… Make sure the room your in is tidy and there are no distractions like tv when you are trying to sleep… Reading can also help and don’t try too hard because that can have the opposite effect xx

Feeling cold when it’s not could be anemia. Make sure that’s checked if it hasn’t been recently. RLS as mentioned is a strong ppossibility re the feeling of needing to stretch, but you just had back surgery so it could be directly related to that. When they cut, they cut nerves. It’s unavoidable. When you’re healing, the nerves begin to reconnect at varying rates. Some take a long time, others not so much. You’ll get all manner of odd sensations from that, including possibly pain, itching, temperatures, crawling, twitchiness, and I’ve even experienced thinking water was splashed on my skin where there was none.

If your whole body hurts, but it hurts to be touched, that flat sounds like Fibromyalgia. Have you been diagnosed with it?

Last thought is to ask if you stopped any pain meds recently. Withdrawals are extremely irritating.

Hi Sherita,

I felt like that when I was post op from my foot surgery. I couldn't do what I wanted to do, cause I was still healing. I went to the pool when my physical therapy stopped, and it helped me. I could also sleep better. Are you able to get a nap in during the day? That helped me out, and helped me to rest better at night as well. I still don't sleep all night, I can fall asleep, but not stay asleep. I really hope you're feeling better, but call feel free to call your doctor.

I have the Fibromyalgia and it does sound simular. I have the issues of restless leg syndrome but haven’t been diagnosed. I also have the same issues in my arms. It’s very annoying and unpleasant. Withdrawals could be a possiblity. Have you tried Benadryl and Tylenol? Together, it causes you to sleep. I wake up often during the night and when I do, it’s almost impossible to go back to sleep. I also have a hard time going to sleep even when I am extremely tired. It gets overwhelming because sleep is needed to make us feel better. Sometimes, even with more than 8 hours of sleep, i still feel tired. You can also look for sleep aid with melatonin, which is all natural. Prednisone has terrible side effects and could be causing a lot of your issues. If you aren’t living comfortably then you need to talk to your doctor about another medicine or something that can help you manage these issues better.

Purpluefav

I get cold like that sometime and i call it “cold to the bone!” my husband laugh at me because I live in Florida, where the weather is warm almost all year long! LOL! I use a heating pad, layer my clothing or take a warm bath until the chill is gone. It can be a side effect of medication (i.e. pain meds and or steroids). It can also be your thyroid hormone too! Not sure if you have a thyroid issue or not!
I have restless leg Syndrome too! So I know how that feels! For years I lived on Night quill so I could sleep!

However, you need to discuss the issues with your rheumy because blood work may be in order!

Best of luck…Deenie

Sherita, I agree with everyone that has answered about the fibro and RLS. Sometimes I can only sleep in a semi upright way as in a recliner that is not laid back. When I get too tired and have too many parts hurting I also get cold. Sometimes I have a massage where they don't do any deep pressure but more a relaxing and softer massage. Maybe your body is waking up to your surgery and not liking what has happened? I would take it very easy but do your PT exercises and walk as much as you can to help the legs. I take meds for sleep and RLS and I never, ever sleep thru the night. I take Mirapex for RLS and Trazadone for sleep. I take my 5mg of prednisone in the morning.

Even if you are not having storms and whether changes where you live atmospheric changes do affect the atmosphere all over and I react very badly to storms that are fairly near but not affecting me. As Trisha said, the whether where we are living is all over the board and it is killing me and other friends of mine in this area who deal with auto immune diseases. So good luck, dear Sherita. I like your name and the derivitive of Rita. My name is Rita aka Reet but at one time I also went by Marita.

Be cautious of the Melatonin, I read posts that this is not good for us.

Trisha

Destiny Scott said:

I have the Fibromyalgia and it does sound simular. I have the issues of restless leg syndrome but haven't been diagnosed. I also have the same issues in my arms. It's very annoying and unpleasant. Withdrawals could be a possiblity. Have you tried Benadryl and Tylenol? Together, it causes you to sleep. I wake up often during the night and when I do, it's almost impossible to go back to sleep. I also have a hard time going to sleep even when I am extremely tired. It gets overwhelming because sleep is needed to make us feel better. Sometimes, even with more than 8 hours of sleep, i still feel tired. You can also look for sleep aid with melatonin, which is all natural. Prednisone has terrible side effects and could be causing a lot of your issues. If you aren't living comfortably then you need to talk to your doctor about another medicine or something that can help you manage these issues better.

Thanks Trisha. I’ll check it out. This is what I just found. Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-info/lifestyle-additional-information/avoid/

One of the things that seems to help me the most is going to infrared sauna. It relaxes my muscles and I feel like I've had a massage, but without the soreness of an actual massage. I have fibromyalgia and am usually too tender to get a massage. The heat of the sauna also helps with that deep down cold feeling. This has helped me so much that I am looking into buying my own sauna so that I can use it daily.

Oh gosh, do I know what you're feelin'! I just had that same exact episode last year--right when the weather changed. It became clear to me that the cold/restless/achy legs and difficulty getting comfortable in any position was Restless Leg Syndrome. Infact, I went to see my doctor for this, and she also diagnosed me with Restless Leg Syndrome and prescribed me a medication for it. Fortunately, it ran its course--a few months and began to discipate (improve) on its own. "Over-doing the muscles, for me--was a huge factor and emotional stress. Talk to your doctor about this and ask if this could be it for you--Restless Leg Syndrome. I thought I was going crazy, or generalized anxiety, but I had neither (: Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!!

I'm thinking Restless Leg Syndrome as well... Sometimes at night I get an urge to just move my legs, like something is in me and I can't shake it... I haven't been diagnosed with that either but I know I have this as well.Sometimes I can't even cross my legs they ache so bad, so I definitely feel your pain..I see someone suggested Melotin for sleep, that's what I take and I think it works ok, but I have yet to have a full uninterupted night of sleep... but if you don't get any relief soon, I would definitely call the doc and see what she says. They may be able to help you over the phone, but you won't know until you call.. Good Luck and I hope you get some much needed rest soon..

I also have RLS. Ellavil (an old fashioned anti-depressant) was prescribed and works beautifully for me!! It takes some getting used to as it causes drowsiness until it has build up in your body and you've gotten used to it.

Please read the link I posted earlier to this discussion. It tells about Melanin and other things that shouldn’t be taken by Lupus patients. I just found out myself. Thanks

Thank you all for your helpful suggestion. I am in the hospital and been since the day I wrote this post. I started vomiting and diarrhea that would not stop. My left side of my abdomen was in extreme pain. I also had a fever of 105. Well they said my large intestine is inflamed(colitis). I have not appetite since I have been here. I am slowly getting better.

Blessings, prayers, and gentle hugs I am sending to you!

Purplefav said:

Thank you all for your helpful suggestion. I am in the hospital and been since the day I wrote this post. I started vomiting and diarrhea that would not stop. My left side of my abdomen was in extreme pain. I also had a fever of 105. Well they said my large intestine is inflamed(colitis). I have not appetite since I have been here. I am slowly getting better.

Sending prayers your way also!