Ugh... Sick again

So I was at a Halloween Dance Saturday night and I felt a pain on the underneath of my thigh. I get home to check it and sure enough I got a boil. Its been a year since I had one of those. But this one is the most painful yet. I cant walk, cant sit and cant drive because I cant havr anything touching it. My husband, thinking he was helping put a heated towel on it and I screamed. Oh man it hurts soooo bad all I could do was cry. So I went to the ER Sunday night and they gave me 1 percocet and iv antibiotics and sent me home on antibiotics. Nothing for pain. Im like are you kidding me. Tomorrow I have a doctors appointment with my primary and I got a feeling that shes going to cut it open. Thats gonna hurt so bad.

Any time something is inflamed like that, I think ice is better than heat. Ice helps with the pain and also the swelling. I get boils like that too, very painful and I'm just curious how many of us experience this? And in my groin area as well, and its embarrassing and painful. Please let us know how your appointment goes with your primary, and how you're doing.

Hugs, Trisha

Hi

If she cuts it open it will hurt for few second,that's better than three days. You'll be OK. Think positive.

Cindy

I had a few around my groin area last year - very painful but not as painful as yours sound. I hope you feel better really soon!

I’ve battled these for years. Mostly in the groin, buttocks and legs. Finally, I saw a dermatologist when I had a flare. It’s a condition called hydradenitis superativa. It’s common in people with lupus because it is an autoimmune disease, too. There are treatments for it. A dermatologist can also give you a shot as soon as one pops up and can shrink it within 24 hours. No cutting open needed. Hope this helps and good luck. Prayers you feel better soon!!

Thanks for this information, I think this was a question on the new patient paperwork I filled out for my first Rheumatologist visit before diagnosis, but I wasn't completely sure.

Aggiemommy said:

I've battled these for years. Mostly in the groin, buttocks and legs. Finally, I saw a dermatologist when I had a flare. It's a condition called hydradenitis superativa. It's common in people with lupus because it is an autoimmune disease, too. There are treatments for it. A dermatologist can also give you a shot as soon as one pops up and can shrink it within 24 hours. No cutting open needed. Hope this helps and good luck. Prayers you feel better soon!!

Ive had them too. I also found microban (antibiotic cream) it's a prescription works well too. I've also have put iodine on them and it shrinks them fast too. I sympathize with you it is painful! I was told it's a infection of the hair particles and is common with Lupus patients as well.

Praying you feel be out of pain soon.

I used to get them in the groin area just before I was diagnosed with SLE...they were horrible and I couldn't figure out why I was getting them. They are part of the Lupus thing...I have had them under my breasts, too, and they are really painful. Any type of infection will get out of control no matter what we do.

Praying that the doctor will help you and your pain will be over ASAP!

Lori

Interesting. I've had one before in the groin area too, but I didn't know what it was until now. Here is a good overview of boils I found to be helpful. :)

http://www.medicinenet.com/boils_pictures_slideshow/article.htm

Not only the lupus, and auto immune diseases in general make us more susceptible, but of course, throw the prednisone and chemo type drugs in there too... Lol. Sorry, but all I can do is laugh at this point about stuff. :) Better than crying... coping mechanism in slowly being put in place. :)

Wow, I am in constantly learning from you all and slowly realizing after a lifetime that I am not a freak show!!! Just the last 3 or four years Ii have noticed these boils both large and small under my breasts in the groin area and also around my midsection. Thank you so much for easing my alienation on a difficult day. Love you all. ~Maré

Hi everyone:

That's 2 things I learned today. The boils and the swollen tongue. I learn more here than from my doctors. Maybe some of the doctors should read all this information on this site.

Thanks everyone

Cindy

where lose clothes-and at the health food stores they have stuff you put under your toung-it helps go into your system-anyway they have it for boils!! it dose work becasue since I have had Lupus I'm lucky enough to get them on my face(haha-NOT!) anyway Im sure they will lead you to the right thing - they are about the $9-10 range- and dring warm green teas no sugar- good luck Im ion antibiotics right this moment for exactly the same thing but they think it has to do with Discoid Lupus. lov ya Lupus hater

I was right my primary cut it open on Tuesday and I had an appointment with an infectious disease doctor today. They are going to treat me with IV Antibiotics for the next 14 days. I had 4 infections last year with 3 of them having to be cut open and packed, and 2 of those were because of MSRA. The very first one I had was on my private parts, 2 were under my arm. and 1 under my leg and now this one under my leg.

I am greatful to be able to get my medical needs met. What I am not greatful for is when a doctor tells me that it shouldn't hurt after its been cut open, when I am laying on my bed crying myself to sleep because it hurts so bad.

Hi! Hope she will and can help you ! Thinking about you in prayer…Beverly L.