Switching of Meds

This is my first discussion. I have been on here before to be encouraging to others but now I guess I am at my wits end. I suffer from Mixed Connective tissue disease, Fibromialgia, Migraines and had a pacemaker placed a couple years ago for Bradycardia. I take the usual Plaquenil, but for my fibro they have switched me from Tramadol and flexeril to Gabapetin to now Lyrica. The last 2 weeks have been hell on earth for me. I have had non-stop headaches been to the ER 3 times because some of the headaches turned into migraines. I have 3 kids at home who don't understand mommies head hurts... I just feel like I am no good for nothing ... My kids count on me alot and that makes me feel good and my husband is a great supporter but I just feel so down in the dumps becasue these headaches and body aches don't let me be the person I want to be. I guess at this point I am just rambling. If anyone reads this ... Thank you and I hope you are having a good day

Well you have certainly been thru a lot and will get thru this. Sometimes a new med takes a while to get the body to adjust. Maybe thats why you feel out of sorts and headaches are worse. Lyrica has many side effects and is a powerful drug. Can take a month to get used to the first effects at least. Headaches r the worst. They can shut you down. Hopefully you can get the right key to reduce those with meds, diet etc. hang in there. You know this will pass. Your family loves you and is doing just fine. Take care of yourself.

I am unable to take lyrica and gabapintin has never worked for me so I feel your pain. I think it is ridiculous that so many meds that are considered controlled are being moved awayvfrim due to some bad apples miss using them. I can not function without a strong pain killer and muscle relaxer because my spasms get so bad it feels like my back is breaking and I’m slowly being pulled apart. Not fun. Give it a little time though but if it continues to be bad or gets worse make your doctor revisit your meds. Your kids live you even when things are bad so stay strong.

Thank you Lupie I am trying to stay strong but I find it hard these days. I will hear your message and wait to see what happens.

I had to stop taking lyrica because of the headaches I was getting. I recently started nortryptilene and that is helping more than anything else. Let your doc know that the side effects are too much for you. Hopefully he’ll put you back on what works. I told my doc that I need to function for my kids now and if a med helped but could cause long term health issues then I would prefer to take it because my kid’s are everything to me and they are only young once. Of course my rheumy is the sort that relies on labs rather than listening to me about how I feel so it can be a challenge to get him to understand. Good luck!

So sorry that you are struggling right now with the bad headaches and overall pain and discouragement that comes along with chronic pain and health issues. I have lupus and fibromyalgia, and am taking Plaquenil, Prednisone and a low dose of Celebrex. I have never tried Gabapentin but I did try Lyrica and was not able to take it. I had slurred speech and I felt like the room was spinning only after a few doses. I made the decision to stop it. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about if Lyrica is causing the additional headaches. Also, do you take magnesium or malic acid supplements. They are both very helpful for the Fibro pain. You will get through this rough patch cause you have the love and support of your kids and husband, and all of us here understand what you are going through. You are definitely not alone in this. Praying you find the courage to fight through this and that relief in some form is on its way. Gentle hugs!

Please forgive yourself. You are doing the best you can. You need to find good pain control that works. Without pain meds I would crawl in a ball in agony no use to anyone. Keep your head up
jj

hi lost, god bless you dear and keep hanging in there.......I know just how you feel, also have your doctor give you some real pain meds, like Vicodin, or Percocet , lupus sucks and at least if you have a little pain relief it can work wonders!...I feel useless a good deal of the time myself...I can hardlty walk any more and I have to use a cane now, I take 12 gabapentin a day myself along with my REAL pain meds, I do not care what society thinks, if oxycodone helps me then I will take it!.......I have a lot of kitties and they are a real comfort to me....my husband is great, and we live in an apt. right off of my mamma's house it is wonderful, I love her so..she is 80 yrs....young an going strong....and you sound like you have a great family too sweetie..so like I said hang in there ,,,,,,,,and god bless you,,,,,,,,,i too just found this site and it has been a true god send to me...purrs..catspaw1955

oh wow christiana, I know just how you feel, I also have to take strong pain meds, 2 oxycontin 80's per day and 5 15mg oxycodone for break thru pain, an I agree again if jerks out there were not over using it would not be such a hassle to get our meds, and I too get back spasms so bad, it feels like my back is going to break........it is a constant battle for me everyday just fighting this pain, but I will never give up, and it sounds like you will not either..........so god bless you, and have a wonderful day....lots of gentle hugs and prayers, coming your way...purrs..catspaw1955

I am unable to take lyrica and gabapintin has never worked for me so I feel your pain. I think it is ridiculous that so many meds that are considered controlled are being moved awayvfrim due to some bad apples miss using them. I can not function without a strong pain killer and muscle relaxer because my spasms get so bad it feels like my back is breaking and I'm slowly being pulled apart. Not fun. Give it a little time though but if it continues to be bad or gets worse make your doctor revisit your meds. Your kids live you even when things are bad so stay strong.

oh Jamie, I so agree with you, if I did not have my industrial strength painkillers, I too would curl up into a ball and cry...hugs to you dear...god bless.....purrs..catspaw1955

Please forgive yourself. You are doing the best you can. You need to find good pain control that works. Without pain meds I would crawl in a ball in agony no use to anyone. Keep your head up
jj

Bless you and I hope your headaches pass or you find out what's causing the headaches. I had to have an MRI to RO any brain disease or tumors. Might be productive to bring this up to your doctor.When I used to get migraine headaches in my 30s and 40s the docs gave me massive doses of demerol 185 mg and phenergan. I was knocked out fo2 days (very life unhealhty and dangerous) but the headache was gone when I woke up. Along came the triptans and what a relief to get rid of headaches with that. At first they were injections and then a pill was developed that dissolves under the tongue. I've only had 3 migraines recently after 20 some years of none and the doc gave me Rizatriptan. Worked just fine.

You got to hold on.

dear lostfaith..... you are one of the strongest people I know Know how I know that ? because you are fighting and surviving this hateful trickster disease. Sometimes we just get so overwhelmed with all that is thrown at us from doctors to co workers to stranger to close loved ones and family. Be kind to yourself give yourself permission to feel however you feel then darling tighten up your boot straps and ROAR!! Lupus does not define you and it is not all you are. Now put your right arm over your left and your left arm over your right and give yourself a great big hug. God Bless Julie

Thank you all for your advice, good wishes and most of all support and understanding. It seems like I am making progress I take a step back. But my fight will continue… Will let you all know how this turns out. Take care

Thank you all for your advice, good wishes and most of all support and understanding. It seems like I am making progress I take a step back. But my fight will continue… Will let you all know how this turns out. Take care