Question

I have been trying to keep somewhat active by treadmilling a few times a week. However, last week I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Coming out of it somewhat, but this is the first time I have really had the pain and fatigue. I've only been diagnosed a year. How do I know when trying to exercise again isn't going to make it worse? I feel like I'm being very whiney, but I've felt sooooo tired. Also, does anyone have a problem with cold weather? Thanks for any input!

I have auto immune and fibro. My physical therapist told me when I do exercise to make sure its low impact to start with and do no more than 5 minutes at a time. If that means I have to exercise 6 times a day for 5 min. then so be it. Also, even when fatigued or in pain, we must exercise...however let how you feel determine how much you push. So if you're feeling really bad, then only do a flat slow walk on the treadmill instead of maybe an incline walk/run. This has helped me. I exercise using a trampoline. Sometimes I can jump for almost 10 min. and sometimes I can only do a slow march. Hope this helps. I too have problems with the cold weather. For me, the colder it is, the worse my hands feel.

I've been told that it's good to still exercise even if fatigued and achy... even if it's only for a few minutes and not my typical workout. I've noticed that it keeps me from getting stiffer and more achy. Plus, it's a stress release for me. I love the hot shower/bath after exercising too. Just do small increments of something low-impact and build your way up gradually.

ANN I HOPE MORE PEOPLE READ THIS THAN JUST YOU!!! WE ARE TYPE A PERSONALITY.

WE ARE OVERACHIEVERS!!! THAT IS WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY. SO, DO NOT GO NUTS ON THE TREADMILL. BECAUSE YOU ARE SETTING THE TIME BOMB FOR A MAJOR FLARE UP.

TAKE CARE

LOVE MICKEY AND RUSH ALWAYS

Ballerina8876 said:

I've been told that it's good to still exercise even if fatigued and achy... even if it's only for a few minutes and not my typical workout. I've noticed that it keeps me from getting stiffer and more achy. Plus, it's a stress release for me. I love the hot shower/bath after exercising too. Just do small increments of something low-impact and build your way up gradually.

I find that taking walks help my pain and attitude. doesn't matter how much walking I do, even a little helps. Been diagnosed since '82 and have learned a lot about lupus and life. both are hard. and exercising in the house helps too. got a 3-wheeller bike that i sometimes use outside. just a pain to get outside. And sometimes i paint. my shoulder hurts real bad now but don't want surgery yet. So I pray that all of u can find the right exercize and an hobby

Thanks for all the input. It seems everything is just an exercise in frustration anymore. I'll be dragging myself up on the treadmill for a bit tonight :)

I have problems with the cold weather and what I do to stay comfortable is wear layers of clothing in or out the house... Its easy to unwrap and peel than having to reset the temperature in the house. Please I would say don't overkill on the workout just be easy & take your time... You can switch up instead of the treadmill maybe you could just like walk in place or maybe just some light stretching... Remember we have to treat ourselves like a delicately flower..take care.....