Plaquenil and Anemia

We think the Plaquenil is causing Anemia in my body

anyone else have this?

did you have to stop plaquenil?

Hello Potslupus,

I already had Anaemia before taking plaquenil but anaemia is one of the side affects of plaquenil if it occured after taking the med but Lupus also can cause it...so you really need to know which one as caused it.

Here are the side affects of plaquenil and someone will answer in due course. Terri :)

What are the possible side effects of Plaquenil?

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, tell your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking this drug.

Side effects of treatment for malaria may include: heart problems, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, dizziness, lack or loss of appetite, mild headache, nausea, vomiting

Side effects of treatment for lupus or and rheumatoid arthritis may include: abdominal cramps, change in eye color, vision problems (e.g., light flashes or streaks), acne, anemia, lightening of hair, blisters in mouth and eyes, blood disorders, convulsions, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, diminished reflexes or muscle problems including paralysis, dizziness, emotional changes, darkening of skin, headache, hearing loss or ringing in ears, breathing difficulties, heart problems, hives, itching, light intolerance, liver problems or failure, hair loss, loss or lack of appetite, nightmares, psoriasis, skin rash or inflammation , dizziness, extreme fatigue, weight loss

Actually any chronic illness can cause anemia- regardless of the medications you are on- its actually called anemia of chronic disease. Your doctor can determine the cause of your anemia by running some tests- more often than not it is nutritional. If you have excess fluid you can appear to have anemia just by being overhydrated. Although sometimes drugs can cause anemia it is fairly rare and other causes need to be ruled out first - could just be a vitamin deficiency too.

Hi poobie,

Great input mate thanks :)

poobie said:

Actually any chronic illness can cause anemia- regardless of the medications you are on- its actually called anemia of chronic disease. Your doctor can determine the cause of your anemia by running some tests- more often than not it is nutritional. If you have excess fluid you can appear to have anemia just by being overhydrated. Although sometimes drugs can cause anemia it is fairly rare and other causes need to be ruled out first - could just be a vitamin deficiency too.

Lupus causes my anemia. I ended up at UCLA Oncology center after I tried cutting my Plaquinil down from 2 a day to 1 a day on my own. Needless to say, I now know I have to stay on 2 a day for life as my form of lupus attacks my red blood cells. Like the others stated, get the correct blood test before stopping Plaquinil. It is the best drug we have to help keep us off the heavy hitters that have very bad side effects.

Hi Jenny,

I think my Lupus caused my anaemia, i had it years back and then when diagnosed with Lupus and to also find out i was born with Lupus ontop.

Terri :)

In the 30 years since I was finally diagnosed I haven't come across anyone that had Plaquenil caused anemia. Not saying it can't happen, just never seen it. Maybe you need a stronger dose or another med. I had to go out of town to a Lupus specific doctor to get my answers. It's amazing how little some Rheumys know about treating Lupus. Good luck!