Quantcast

Life With Lupus

Muscle Spasms and Pain in Legs

Hi Everyone,

This time I can use your feedback and help. Something new is happening here. Since last December I've been having muscle spasms in my thighs, calves and feet. Very painful. Also, my calves are atrophying. I can barely walk.

Been working with Physical Medicine and Interventional Anesthesia and have appts for more cortisone shots and a lumbar epidural in April. But, I don't think this is the whole story. I've come full circle in 2 1/2 years, from getting strong and healthy (walking 2 miles/day) and now my legs are getting weak and painful. Plus, the docs are ignoring me and not very responsive when I talk about the level of pain.

Have any of you dealt with something like this?

I do get muscle spasms in my legs sometimes they just sort of jump. My legs are getting weak and painful too and my balance is bad. I have been thinking I am having a flare caused by too strong an antibiotic. My pain level is crazy right now. I just sent the doctor and email so we shall see how she responds. A month ago I was feeling great walking, dancing

cleaning! Now I can hardly move. I hope it won't last long. Maybe you need a pain management doctor.

Good luck!

Within the last month, I have started having severe muscle cramps in my hip, legs and feet. I'm not sure what is causing it as I am not doing anything differently. I assume it is part of the disease and inactivity.

I'm getting bad charley horses in my hands, feet and legs. The dr says it is from the prednisone.

Since my original post, I've been to see the doctor (Physical Medicine) and to the ER. I was examined for spinal cord damage in the ER. Though there is no spinal cord damage. But, there is severe nerve compression from the compression fracture that occurred in 2011. So, the pain in my legs is due to nerve damage from L3, L4, L5 to S1 where the fracture is located. It will not ever go away.

I'm having a hard time with walking. My pain is controlled by hydromorphone (dilaudid) 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I can't even tolerate that much. 1 tablet every 6-8 hours puts me to sleep. I guess I cope with this until I can get the epidural in May (!?).

Feeling pretty discouraged with all of this. The impact on my life is huge. I was very lucky not to have symptoms from the fracture before this.

I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain. Is there any way you can get the epidural sooner? Tons of hugs.

Hi USAGURL, I just wanted to tell you I am sorry you are in so much pain. Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Hugs.

Hi USA Girl. Yes to the cramps and pain in the legs, no to the attributing of the calf muscles. I also have them twitch occasionally at night, like Mexican jumping beans. This may sound like a crazy idea but I've tried it on the advice of my mom, who tried it on the advice of friends who know it as a natural remedy for cramps. Get a bar of soap. Open it up and put it between your legs. If that doesn't work, then rub it over your dry legs. There is SOMETHING in soap that helps to dispel cramps! At least for all of us who've tried it and passed it along.

Drinking water is also helpful, especially in the summer when it's easy to become dehydrated. That has also helped me with cramps. Potassium and magnesium are also.supposed to help with leg cramps. I tried something from the drug store that was supposed to help but it did nothing for me: quinine.

Can you possibly switch doctors? It sounds like it might be helpful. I have found that no matter how many chances you give to a to-do doctor, they never seem to help.

I'm wishing you and others much pain reduction. Cramps are the pits!

USA Girl, I'm so sorry. I answered below before reading your update. But don't give up! Someone legit might be out there who knows of something helpful. When I get stumped over autoimmune stuff, I will write down the topic that's bothering me in the briefest terms possible, then add the word "discussion," and then press Google. Sometimes it's quite helpful. And I always am choosy.about what discussions I'll.read, as I don't care what someone who is clearly just selling a product has to say...It might be worth a try...

USAGURL said:

Since my original post, I've been to see the doctor (Physical Medicine) and to the ER. I was examined for spinal cord damage in the ER. Though there is no spinal cord damage. But, there is severe nerve compression from the compression fracture that occurred in 2011. So, the pain in my legs is due to nerve damage from L3, L4, L5 to S1 where the fracture is located. It will not ever go away.

I'm having a hard time with walking. My pain is controlled by hydromorphone (dilaudid) 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I can't even tolerate that much. 1 tablet every 6-8 hours puts me to sleep. I guess I cope with this until I can get the epidural in May (!?).

Feeling pretty discouraged with all of this. The impact on my life is huge. I was very lucky not to have symptoms from the fracture before this.

Hey, everyone, Seenie here from ModSupport! We’re having a bit of a thread revival. There’s a new member, @Chaplana, who is having terrible muscle spasms. She has posted here. Can you offer Lana any suggestions?

In case you have trouble logging in:

• “User name” is your email address
  • Say you’ve forgotten your password, even if you know it.
  • Follow the instructions the system sends.

Hope to hear from you soon!

S