MRI findings

Hello All,

I have had two MRIs the first one 2 years ago was normal but the most recent one showed "a few small foci of abnormal signal intensity are noted in the deep white matter of the brain, which may represent foci of ischemia (possibly secondary to vasculitis), or other causes of gliosis. Demyelination is another possible but less likely possibility".

I have had bad headaches and dizziness over the past 2 years when my lupus is at its worst.

I am hoping that someone can give me some insight into what this means.

Thanks

Meg

Hello Meg,

There's many causes to (small foci of abnormal signal intensity are noted in the deep white matter) Vasculitis as you've stated besides the other's you've mentioned and more...you really do need to ask whoever is treating you what you properly have and also ask them to right it down for you because giving several possibilities like you've stated, if that's what's been said to you is totally wrong and worrying to someone with Lupus besides what you go through.

This link as good excellent reference to what you've mentioned and may help you more.

http://spinwarp.ucsd.edu/neuroweb/Text/br-840.htm

Love Terri xxx

Thanks Terri, Yes the doctor (GP) just said it could be from a couple of causes and did not give treatment options or next steps. I have been having headaches and dizziness, memory / cognitive issues plus numbness in my left foot as well as vision problems and I wonder if these spots could be the cause of some of these problems. I am very scared that it will get worse as I had an MRI 2 yrs ago that was normal so these spots have occurred in that time frame. I have read about CNS lupus and it is very scary. I am going to fax the results to my rheumy and maybe she will be able to give me more answers.

Hello Meg,

You need to send the results to your rheumo and get a proper diagnosis, as some GP's don't know the full extent where Lupus is concerned.

Vasculitis in itself can form quickly and those are white lesions on the brain which can spread at different rates according to how active the lupus is like i've mentioned before to other's...there's many issues with myself which i have noticed each month getting alot worser.

By the symptoms you've stated there's a good connection with the CNS which is the main base to Lupus and causing problems, as it works from the brain down.

Please let me know what your rheumo says and reading the link will help you also.

Love & kisses Terri xxx

It’s basically saying you either have inflammation in the brain from the lupus, which is what vasculitis is, or they’re considering demyelination, which would be associated with multiple sclerosis. This, in fact, IS how multiple sclerosis is diagnosed, off MRI findings of this nature. It is not uncommon to have both lupus, AND multiple sclerosis as they are both autoimmune diseases.

Should I see my rheumy or a neurologist for a determination of what is causing this? I cannot contemplate having both, but I have two aunts with MS and I have many of the same symptoms. I was diagnosed with Lupus by a rheumy and also got a second opinion to be sure of the right diagnosis so I am pretty sure of the Lupus diagnosis.

I had a similar MRI done by the neurologist before we knew about the lupus. I will try to find my report and let you know what it says.

You would probably need to see a neurologist for this. There are additional tests to confirm MS rather than Lupus but also keep in mind that Lupus does cause inflammation in the central nervous system and this could be what is causing the headaches. Don’t panic yet. Gentle hugs! Amy

Hi Meg,

I's usually a Neuro for this and don't get jumping to thinking you have MS although it runs in the family plus besides Vasculitis, there's other Autoimmune diseases which can cause this.

You need to see what your actual results are :)

MegLupusNewbie said:

Should I see my rheumy or a neurologist for a determination of what is causing this? I cannot contemplate having both, but I have two aunts with MS and I have many of the same symptoms. I was diagnosed with Lupus by a rheumy and also got a second opinion to be sure of the right diagnosis so I am pretty sure of the Lupus diagnosis.

A neurologist will be able to read your results and tell you with absolute certainty if its MS or not.