Mouth sores

I've never had mouth sores before, so I wasn't sure what I was dealing with. Within the last 2 weeks, I've had 2 that left actual cuts on my gums. They were both right by the gum line, so when I brushed my teeth, I totally felt the pain. Today I was fortunate enough to get in to see my dentist so I could show him rather than explain what was happening. He took several pictures of it, so I could show my rheumatologist. The dentist said it was a mouth sore that somehow opened up and left a cut on my gum. Anybody else have anything like this? I just finished a 5 day round of steroids for a flare. I wonder if this sore is part of the flare or because the steroids suppressed my immune system. What are your thoughts?

Hello Rosie,

I'm not a doctor to diagnose as you know but just having a flare i'd say that was part of it.

I've add ulcers and sores in my mouth and nose and you can always guarantee they occur with a bad flare.

This info below may help you also about mouth sores.

((Love & hugs)) Terri :)

Sores or localized abnormalities inside the mouth can arise from a number of causes. Most commonly, mouth sores represent aphthous ulcers, also known as canker sores or aphthous stomatitis. These shallow, painful ulcerations often occur in susceptible individuals during times of stress, infection, or changes in immune status. Certain medications, for example methotrexate, can cause canker sores as well as deficiencies in some B vitamins (1, 2, 6, and 12), iron, folic acid, and zinc. However, irritation, injury, or infection of any of the tissues in the oral cavity can also lead to mouth sores. Sores in the mouth can occur with certain systemic (affecting multiple locations within the body) diseases such as Crohn's disease, Behcet's syndrome, and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).

Rosie sorry you are having to deal with this, many of us do, and also they can occur in your nose, and for some of us, our ears. I have one right now close enough to my partial dental work that when no ones around, I'm not using it. I'm glad your dentist saw and documented this, so he could tell it wasn't a herpes simplex outbreak or anything along those lines. And ditto on the info Terri gave you above.

feel better soon! hugs

Louise

Hi Louise,

I hope yours clears up soon mate as they're one hell of a nightmare to shift :)

ohsoperplexed said:

Rosie sorry you are having to deal with this, many of us do, and also they can occur in your nose, and for some of us, our ears. I have one right now close enough to my partial dental work that when no ones around, I'm not using it. I'm glad your dentist saw and documented this, so he could tell it wasn't a herpes simplex outbreak or anything along those lines. And ditto on the info Terri gave you above.

feel better soon! hugs

Louise

Hi Rosie,

How are you feeling now since you added your discussion...please update we when possible.

((Hugs)) Terri :)

Hi Terri...hope you're doing well. Its been a couple of days since I finished my round of steroids for the flare. I think I'm still flaring though. The sore is still there. Yesterday I woke up stiff and in pain, but I pushed through to go do some volunteer work. I got to where I was going only to decend into tears because I was sooo EXHASUSTED! Only you guys can really understand that kind of fatigue :( My mom had to drive me home, since I was too tired to drive. I'm moving rather slowly today. I'm debating whether or not to call rheumy tomorrow. I don't want more steroids, but seeing that I'm trying for disability I have to have everything documented. I've got to get going. Thanks for checking on me and hope you're having a pain free day :)

Tez_20 said:

Hi Rosie,

How are you feeling now since you added your discussion...please update we when possible.

Hello Rosie,

Nice to hear from you...regarding myself been tied today from starting methotrexate on friday and since having my dinner i keep having diarrhea, so not sure if it's the med or my IBS? lol

Rosie even though you've add the steriods that willhelp calm it but the flareshave to subside on their own which i've found out...you just be careful pushing your body while the flares still lingering because of your body and joints and i know how you feel and a good many and how you ended up crying through the exhaustion i do it through the pain being so bloody unbearable.

I'd still ring your rheumo and see what he/she says and take some painkillers if need be.

123tagged.Com

Your loving friend always:)

nates tired mom said:

Hi Terri...hope you're doing well. Its been a couple of days since I finished my round of steroids for the flare. I think I'm still flaring though. The sore is still there. Yesterday I woke up stiff and in pain, but I pushed through to go do some volunteer work. I got to where I was going only to decend into tears because I was sooo EXHASUSTED! Only you guys can really understand that kind of fatigue :( My mom had to drive me home, since I was too tired to drive. I'm moving rather slowly today. I'm debating whether or not to call rheumy tomorrow. I don't want more steroids, but seeing that I'm trying for disability I have to have everything documented. I've got to get going. Thanks for checking on me and hope you're having a pain free day :)

Tez_20 said:

Hi Rosie,