Kidney Failure and treatment

I am wondering if anyone on this site is having any issues with their kidneys? My mother has recently been diagnosed with glomeronephritis and her GFR is 30. I suspect she may also have lupus and does have a positive ANA. Does anyone know of any treatment options out there if this is being caused by lupus?

Hi Mel, First of all, sorry t hear abou that, I really am…So, I am guessing that it runs in the family, as it usually does…So what exactly happened w/ ur mom? Was it sudden, or came on over time and how was she finally diagnosed…Which by the way Mel, as hard as it is knowing she is sick w/ this, it is a Godsent that they were able to pinpoint it as fast as they did…Yes, what u are explaining is def. seen in Lupus ans Autoimmune issues…So was her ANA tested yet? or are u basically assuming it ll be positive? Have they done a biopsy of her kidney yet? Have they checked her for all the other crazy antibodies we produce w/ these mysterious & frustrating illnesses?! I will keep ur Mom in my prayers also, as I already do for u! Treatments I believe are bascially the same as it is for Lupus, Prednisone I know is a Definite, esp. in the beginning, while the other teatments kick in, and I believe Cyclosporine (spelling might b wrong?) is a Kidney drug for Autoimmune such as Glomeromephritis…Google it, for more info too…I am sure she is in the care of a Nephrologist at this point , right? Along wih a Rheumy… Well, that is what I know, let me know how she is, and you hang in there, don’t stress too much, that will not do u any good either! Take care of urself too…Keeping u both in my thoughts & prayers! Stay Strong! Suzie :0)

Thanks Suzie! My mom is being seen by doctors at University of Michigan, which are top notch. They did an ANA but told her they didn't think she had lupus because she really didn't have many symptoms.... However, I believe she does. My mother NEVER complains about anything. The doctors told her that there really isn't any test for lupus either, which isn't true. I told her to go back to her ANA test and see what pattern it has and then tell her doctor she wants an anti-dsDNA test. However, they are talking about doing a kidney biopsy and that will tell the tale, one way or another. They can't find any reason for her kidney failure so I am wondering if it is lupus, since I have it.

Her ANA was positive.

Mel
Suzie D. said:

Hi Mel, First of all, sorry t hear abou that, I really am...So, I am guessing that it runs in the family, as it usually does...So what exactly happened w/ ur mom? Was it sudden, or came on over time and how was she finally diagnosed...Which by the way Mel, as hard as it is knowing she is sick w/ this, it is a Godsent that they were able to pinpoint it as fast as they did...Yes, what u are explaining is def. seen in Lupus ans Autoimmune issues...So was her ANA tested yet? or are u basically assuming it ll be positive? Have they done a biopsy of her kidney yet? Have they checked her for all the other crazy antibodies we produce w/ these mysterious & frustrating illnesses?! I will keep ur Mom in my prayers also, as I already do for u! Treatments I believe are bascially the same as it is for Lupus, Prednisone I know is a Definite, esp. in the beginning, while the other teatments kick in, and I believe Cyclosporine (spelling might b wrong?) is a Kidney drug for Autoimmune such as Glomeromephritis...Google it, for more info too....I am sure she is in the care of a Nephrologist at this point , right? Along wih a Rheumy... Well, that is what I know, let me know how she is, and you hang in there, don't stress too much, that will not do u any good either! Take care of urself too....Keeping u both in my thoughts & prayers! Stay Strong! Suzie :0)

I have lupus nephritis inflamation around my kidneys. I was put on 60 mg of prednisone, high dose of cellcept and plaquinel. It took over 6 months for it to start working. the swelling is awful I dont know how many times i was admitted so they could take off the fluid! I pray they find out what works best for her and she gets things under control. God bless.

HI shelly2004 I have had constant swelling in my groin and stomach swelling with back pain and uti’s do you get this.what should i be on for swellin i am on hydroclorphane for lupus now i have shingles but i am having a bad time with stomach.please let me know thank you dee.

shelly2004 said:

I have lupus nephritis inflamation around my kidneys. I was put on 60 mg of prednisone, high dose of cellcept and plaquinel. It took over 6 months for it to start working. the swelling is awful I dont know how many times i was admitted so they could take off the fluid! I pray they find out what works best for her and she gets things under control. God bless.