Is it normal when you are trying for your disability?

Is it normal when filing for disability that they send you to one of their doctors for an exam ? I know all my doctors filled out their paperwork but the disability office says that they can not make a decision until I see their dr. Anyone else had this done to them ? Thanks Sandy

Hello Sandy,

I don't know how it really stands in the states for seeing a doctor but so many members have been through it so you should get good replies....it does happen here in the UK according to your disability and background.

This discussion Draginfli added may help also regarding disability.

http://www.lifewithlupus.org/forum/topics/social-security-disability-tips

All the best my friend Terri :) xxx

Hi Sandy (: Yes this is pretty much protocol. I know lots of people who has fought for their disability including myself and this is something we all have gone thru! Is this your first time to apply? Im from Louisiana and here nobody ever gets it the first time out. Everyone is denied once before they receive it. So don't get discouraged if u r denied. Just reapply as soon as possible. Good luck and stay strong !

Monique thanks so much for you input for sandy as it all helps :)

The same thing happened to my mom. They denied her the first time, even though her dr wrote pages and pages..their dr did not agree with the findings.

The way she got approved was to have her psychiatrist write something about how her illness affects her mentally. I have heard the same thing from others also.

A big thank you to all my friends for their answers.

Hi Sandy

I have a psych evaluation scheduled for Tuesday for SSDI. It surprised me that they're not sending me to rheumie, but ok its progress. When did you file?

Trisha, I have to go to their psych and one of their doctors also. I filed in Dec 2012. When did you file ? Did you and your husband have to fill out paperwork from them ? We did. All my drs filled out their paperwork but guess it is not enough. My neighbor said she went through all the steps and got turned down 2 times before getting hers with a lawyer. I know it is a crazy process.

Hi Sandy

I filed in December as well. Yes, my husband and I sat at the kitchen table and filled the paperwork out at the same time, and mailed them all off at the same time. I know my therapist sent his paperwork in, not sure bout my other docs. My rheumie wouldn't fill out some questions my employer had, so I'm asking my PC to address them. There are alot of factors involved, age is one of them. They consider anyone over 50 too old to learn anything new : p I'm planning on being denied, but my husband has the feeling I'll get it? My husband's friend has been denied, and is appealing with a lawyer, he's been trying for 3 years. But he was on it, then went to work and lost it, and is trying to get back on and its more difficult. The waiting game is awful....

sandy73 said:

Trisha, I have to go to their psych and one of their doctors also. I filed in Dec 2012. When did you file ? Did you and your husband have to fill out paperwork from them ? We did. All my drs filled out their paperwork but guess it is not enough. My neighbor said she went through all the steps and got turned down 2 times before getting hers with a lawyer. I know it is a crazy process.

It is nerve racking having to do all this. We filled ours out as well together and mailed them the same day. My neighbor told me about the age thing. They are hard on people under 40. Well I turn 40 in July so hopefully that helps. I think I will be turned down also the first couple of times. My husband does not think so. I just hope they know this is causing us more stress which leads to more bad days. I will keep you updated with mine and you do the same. I am here if you want to chat. Thanks Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Your welcome from us all and i hope it just goes through for you ok and try not to be nervous as it's an illness you have...not a stage act.

Best of luck & a prayer hands smiley from your dear friend....love Terri xxx

sandy73 said:

A big thank you to all my friends for their answers.