How did you get lupus?

On September 14, 2012 knick28 posed the question above. This link connects to the entire discussion.

http://www.lifewithlupus.org/forum/topics/how-did-you-get-lupus

I read the other thread and mine seems to be genetic. ra and psoriatic arthritis are in my family. I am however the only one who has lupus that I've found. My cousin has Crohn disease not sure if that's related or not.

Hello Taesra,

I inherited mine besides my sister...there's a gene in the body which causes Lupus, fibro, lyme and many more connected diseases, just the same as we being born with cancer cells and something needs to trigger them off.

This info is off a discussion i did :)

Idiopathic Disease - "hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) Axis"

Idiopathic disease is defined as one that develops without any apparent or known causes. That is the term used for fibromyalgia, autoimmune diseases, including Lupus and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

HPA makes up a multi-set of direct influences and feedback interactions among the hypothalamus, the pituitary gland (a pea-shaped structure located below the hypothalamus), and the adrenal, also called “suprarenal,” glands which are small, conical organs on top of the kidneys.

The interactions among these organs constitute the HPA axis, a major part of the neuroendocrine system that controls reactions to stress and regulates many body processes including digestion, the immune system, mood, emotions, sexuality, as well as energy storage and expenditure. Infectious disease, such as chronic Lyme Disease Complex, impacts the HPA-axis via neurotoxins that compete for the same receptor sites used by the HPA-axis. In fact, such infections can bring about identical symptoms of some idiopathic diseases listed above and many of the symptoms associated there with.

http://www.articlerich.com/Article/Finally--Fibromyalgia--Chronic-F...

Thank you Ann and your welcome :)

Ann A. said:

Dear Terri and Taesram

Thank you very much for sharing.

Genetics. I have an aunt with Lupus, an uncle with Raynaud's, a sister with RA, another sister with Sarcoidosis (also autoimmune), I have Lupus, and my 22 year old son has UCTD, possibly MCTD.

I love when I read articles that question whether there is any genetic component to AI diseases. ;)

My paternal grandmother had RA. I was dx. with SLE when I was 42, my oldest daughter has SLE, and my youngest has RA.

Hi Ann

Since I've been diagnosed last year, I've learned so much more about my lupus. I learned at my family reunion on my father's side, that a few of us have RA. My mother was undiagnosed with Lupus, she had many symptoms - but no one ever put two and two together. She and I also had German Measles as children. My aunt, my mother's sister was also always sick, and probably had an autoimmune disease as well. I've also learned there were environmental issues in my area that I wasn't aware of.

redwingfan,

My dad had osteoporosis, cervical spondylosis, also strokes besides cancer and my mom had RA, diabetes and when i look back at the symptoms i have my dad lived by the fire when not working besides issues which sjogrens causes.

My eldest sister as osteoporisis and also my youngest sister besides Lupus and Roascea.

Regarding myself i have cervical spondylosis, besides having strokes and also the sjogren's besides other A1 diseases and my rheumo said it was inherited :)

redwingfan said:

Genetics. I have an aunt with Lupus, an uncle with Raynaud's, a sister with RA, another sister with Sarcoidosis (also autoimmune), I have Lupus, and my 22 year old son has UCTD, possibly MCTD.

I love when I read articles that question whether there is any genetic component to AI diseases. ;)

Donna,

Definitely and inherited disease like redwingfan...its all to familiar :)

Donna said:

My paternal grandmother had RA. I was dx. with SLE when I was 42, my oldest daughter has SLE, and my youngest has RA.