High blood pressure

Had to go to er this evening with high blood pressure. I’m 36 when I got to er my Bp was 170/115. Any one else have this and do the lupus meds cause problems? I started benlysta Wednesday last week. Does anyone know if it cause high Bp? I was released after three hours two Bp pills and an anti anxiety pill. I was sent home with a Bp script and told to see my dr.

Hi Jasmine, I am sorry to hear about what u went through. I just developed high BP within the past 6 mos., I prob. had it b4 that but didn't know it. It was found when I finally was able to go to the Adult Clinic. I was put on meds after blood work was done 2 chk levels. I myself was finding I had a lot of fluid retention, shortnessof breath, chest discomfort & sweating that was unusual.... They werent sure if it was coming from my heart or my kidneys, both which can cause high BP & the fluid ret., heck, even stress can, we all know that too well!! That is wh theygaveu the anti-anxiety, cause seeg ur BP so high, being in te ER is stressful & cases ur body to react... Anyways, they (the clinic) had me go for bloodwork which showed my Cholesterol overall # was OK, 190, but the good cholesterol ( I think) was not to good, but no need for chosterol meds, just to watch fatty foods, etc... which I knew already....OK, then my potassim levels were low at that time, which can come from the blood pressure problem too. I was put on BP pills, Toprol 25mg once a day, and a water pill too, cause I was exp. alot of fluid retention, in legs, ankles, abdomen, I have spoke about b4,mit is better now w/ he medication. My kidney functions in blood were OK, personally I bel. after having blood in urine bad (like peeing red wine) once and alot of kidney unexplained infections & nflammation, that YES my kidneys r affected....It kinda takes a biopsy to see that..Urine & blood varies too much. Too hard for them to diagnose, If ya, ask my opinion.

See, I know alot, prob. too much that I kinda mk. them not listen to me & mk them frustrated, cause they think "Well, this woman knows toooo much, for her own good" maybe caue I know as much as them, LOL....ita been in my LIFE for as long as I remember!! Oh well, I'd rather know, than be blind to it all....So I am still taking the meds they gave for it, I see a good Cardiologist regularly, which I have 2 cause of my arrythmia anywas, have had an EKG & echo, which showed my arrythmia which I have had since 1998, in my sinus node, it is all an electrical problem of my heart, (also from theAutoimmune inflammation too) my echo showed an enlargement of the left side of my heart muscle also from high BP...The heart doctor said my heart structure overall was OK, no vessel issues and so forth..Thank God!

So long story short, YES, it has happened 2 me, how did u know there was a problem that prompted you to go to the ER? Were u having bad symptoms??? Let me know how u do, and I wish you lots of LUCK!! Feel Better! Thinkin' of u! {{HUGS}} Suzie :0)

Hi suzie,

Knowing about your symptoms is excellent, makes you a better more informed patient. Remember Doctor's have egos too. Anyway, I urged my doctor to test me for everything after being sick for 3 years then he finally found Lupus, disease of a thousand faces, so its been called.

When I go to the doctor, I find it easier to tell my symptoms for that visit and then show any recent test results for them to interpret the findings, which will agree with my thoughts, LOL. Seriously, try to show them test results and let them go from there, the doctors might be more receptive.

Suzie D. said:

Hi Jasmine, I am sorry to hear about what u went through. I just developed high BP within the past 6 mos., I prob. had it b4 that but didn't know it. It was found when I finally was able to go to the Adult Clinic. I was put on meds after blood work was done 2 chk levels. I myself was finding I had a lot of fluid retention, shortnessof breath, chest discomfort & sweating that was unusual.... They werent sure if it was coming from my heart or my kidneys, both which can cause high BP & the fluid ret., heck, even stress can, we all know that too well!! That is wh theygaveu the anti-anxiety, cause seeg ur BP so high, being in te ER is stressful & cases ur body to react... Anyways, they (the clinic) had me go for bloodwork which showed my Cholesterol overall # was OK, 190, but the good cholesterol ( I think) was not to good, but no need for chosterol meds, just to watch fatty foods, etc... which I knew already....OK, then my potassim levels were low at that time, which can come from the blood pressure problem too. I was put on BP pills, Toprol 25mg once a day, and a water pill too, cause I was exp. alot of fluid retention, in legs, ankles, abdomen, I have spoke about b4,mit is better now w/ he medication. My kidney functions in blood were OK, personally I bel. after having blood in urine bad (like peeing red wine) once and alot of kidney unexplained infections & nflammation, that YES my kidneys r affected....It kinda takes a biopsy to see that..Urine & blood varies too much. Too hard for them to diagnose, If ya, ask my opinion.

See, I know alot, prob. too much that I kinda mk. them not listen to me & mk them frustrated, cause they think "Well, this woman knows toooo much, for her own good" maybe caue I know as much as them, LOL....ita been in my LIFE for as long as I remember!! Oh well, I'd rather know, than be blind to it all....So I am still taking the meds they gave for it, I see a good Cardiologist regularly, which I have 2 cause of my arrythmia anywas, have had an EKG & echo, which showed my arrythmia which I have had since 1998, in my sinus node, it is all an electrical problem of my heart, (also from theAutoimmune inflammation too) my echo showed an enlargement of the left side of my heart muscle also from high BP...The heart doctor said my heart structure overall was OK, no vessel issues and so forth..Thank God!

So long story short, YES, it has happened 2 me, how did u know there was a problem that prompted you to go to the ER? Were u having bad symptoms??? Let me know how u do, and I wish you lots of LUCK!! Feel Better! Thinkin' of u! {{HUGS}} Suzie :0)

I have sort of “selective” high blood pressure. It got high enough a few years ago, when I got angry over something, (REALLY ticked off, you know!) to cause what is called a ‘carotid dissection’. Found out I am lucky I didn’t die or become permanently paralyzed over that one. I try really hard not to get mad at things these days.

I applaud you for knowing your symptoms and body. You have to take charge of your own health these days. My Bp is under control with avalox (I believe) and I’ve had no more issues with it, last month my kidneys were looking worrisome but thins months testing they came back perfect. Dr thinks I had a flare and these things may have been affective

Suzie D. said:

Hi Jasmine, I am sorry to hear about what u went through. I just developed high BP within the past 6 mos., I prob. had it b4 that but didn’t know it. It was found when I finally was able to go to the Adult Clinic. I was put on meds after blood work was done 2 chk levels. I myself was finding I had a lot of fluid retention, shortnessof breath, chest discomfort & sweating that was unusual… They werent sure if it was coming from my heart or my kidneys, both which can cause high BP & the fluid ret., heck, even stress can, we all know that too well!! That is wh theygaveu the anti-anxiety, cause seeg ur BP so high, being in te ER is stressful & cases ur body to react… Anyways, they (the clinic) had me go for bloodwork which showed my Cholesterol overall # was OK, 190, but the good cholesterol ( I think) was not to good, but no need for chosterol meds, just to watch fatty foods, etc… which I knew already…OK, then my potassim levels were low at that time, which can come from the blood pressure problem too. I was put on BP pills, Toprol 25mg once a day, and a water pill too, cause I was exp. alot of fluid retention, in legs, ankles, abdomen, I have spoke about b4,mit is better now w/ he medication. My kidney functions in blood were OK, personally I bel. after having blood in urine bad (like peeing red wine) once and alot of kidney unexplained infections & nflammation, that YES my kidneys r affected…It kinda takes a biopsy to see that…Urine & blood varies too much. Too hard for them to diagnose, If ya, ask my opinion.

See, I know alot, prob. too much that I kinda mk. them not listen to me & mk them frustrated, cause they think “Well, this woman knows toooo much, for her own good” maybe caue I know as much as them, LOL…ita been in my LIFE for as long as I remember!! Oh well, I’d rather know, than be blind to it all…So I am still taking the meds they gave for it, I see a good Cardiologist regularly, which I have 2 cause of my arrythmia anywas, have had an EKG & echo, which showed my arrythmia which I have had since 1998, in my sinus node, it is all an electrical problem of my heart, (also from theAutoimmune inflammation too) my echo showed an enlargement of the left side of my heart muscle also from high BP…The heart doctor said my heart structure overall was OK, no vessel issues and so forth…Thank God!

So long story short, YES, it has happened 2 me, how did u know there was a problem that prompted you to go to the ER? Were u having bad symptoms??? Let me know how u do, and I wish you lots of LUCK!! Feel Better! Thinkin’ of u! {{HUGS}} Suzie :0)