Fluid in the body

For the pass month my sister has had fluid building up in her body. Want can she do when this happen?

retaining fluid is a problem I have had to deal with since the very beginning. It got so severe that I had to start taking meds for it twice a day. I don't even remember what I look like when I'm not swollen.

The diuretic along with the potassium I take helps, but not without other efforts as well.

I hope your sister can check with doc first to find out what is causing the swelling.

I think our bodies always have a reason for doing what they do and we have to solve the puzzle--not as easy as it sounds.

let us know what you find out, ok?

that is a problem with many of us...she can do all the usual things...be careful to limit salt intake, and as janice says...take potassium if using diuretics or blood pressure meds (which are usually essentially diuretics)...one of the most helpful things for me is LEMON juice and lots of it...it is a natural diuretic...drink lemon juice in water...sweeten it and have all the lemonade she wants (hope she likes lemon)...be sure to use natural lemon juice...prob. most cost effective is the frozen minute maid lemon juice (find in frozen juice section ) but it is sold in a plastic bottle in box, not 2 qt can...good luck!

I take Maxide a low level diuretic. I've had problems with this on high doses of Prednisone for nephritis. I gained 20 Lbs on 40 mg of prednisone a day for a wk. Excess fluid drives the B/P up & it's not good. Problems with the heart like Congestive heart failure can cause fluid overload. She should be managed by a Dr.

Ok and thanks

OC GAL said:

I take Maxide a low level diuretic. I’ve had problems with this on high doses of Prednisone for nephritis. I gained 20 Lbs on 40 mg of prednisone a day for a wk. Excess fluid drives the B/P up & it’s not good. Problems with the heart like Congestive heart failure can cause fluid overload. She should be managed by a Dr.

Hi there Lovingkita, Firstly has your sister seen her doctor as thats important of course. Where abouts is the fluid building up? Usual sorts of places are the ankles and knees. Some practical suggestions are to elevate her legs a little. But really she will need some meds called Diuretics, water tablets which will slowly release some of the excess water. Also if she lays on her side to put a pillow between her knee, as this takes some of the pressure off her back. But when she is just resting during the day if you have a recliner or anything like a pouffe to put the feet up on, get a pillow and elevate her legs a little bit. The safest thing though is to go and see the doctor. The body has a reason for swelling, its trying to eliminate toxins of sorts, and its trying to tell us there is something going on its not happy about, so thats why its best she sees a doctors. It could be that her Lupus levels are not very good at the moment. So make her make an appointment if you can, it is really important, its not a massive thing to worry about. All they will do is give her some tablets, and honestly after a few days she will start to notice a real difference and start to feel a lot better. The do the diuretics with Pottassium or without Pottassium depending on what your sister actually needs. Anyway her doctor will look back at a previous blood test and will be able to tell from looking at that. I hope this helps. Good luck with this, please keep us informed and let us know how she gets on, and how you are too, take care, bye for now, love and hugs Astrid40xoxo

I am sorry to hear that. She really needs to cut put as much sodium as she can. It sucks I know, but thats really importaint for ppl with lupus. Lupus is an imfametory illness. So the sodium/salt makes you retain water. Not just for us Lupi's but for everyone. Since we have infamation (fluid build up) in all parts of the body at different times, we really need to cut out sodium as much as we possibly can. Cutting down on the sodium will make her feel alot better. simply walking can be very good for her. There is a guy named Howie that comes to the shelter were I stay at and he teaches Yoga in a chair. Its amazing. I can do it most days. Some days are just to painfull.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZDg0WfH508&context=C4b9031dADvjVQa1PpcFOlyVHfWerm-CCB1bfr3jLfPkkAcNTV2gM=

BTW hes the happiest darn person I have ever met in my life.