Elavil

I had my first trip to the rheumatologist yesterday and he wants to run more tests before giving any answers. Surprise, surprise, right? I swear they're vampires with how much blood they took from me. I really liked him though, very thorough and answered all my questions and then some. He was concerned about how I can't feel much on my right leg. Back in October my right leg would go numb every now and then, the doctors all thought it was a slipped disc, but the MRI was clear. I was given some muscle relaxers and told to give it some time. Well, evidently I still can't really feel any pressure or touches on my leg. Rheumy touched several spots along different nerve roots and all of them felt little to nothing which was concerning for him. He said it bothered him because usually with certain nerve problems, the numbness goes along a nerve root, mine is all over my leg. So, I've been sent to a neurologist for a nerve conduction test (which is happening tomorrow). In the mean time, I was given amitriptyline (Elavil) for the neuropathy and headaches. Has anyone else been on this? It's typically used as an antidepressant, but can be used for chronic headaches, peripheral neuropathy, and evidently uncontrollable hiccups. I'm supposed to take it a few hours before bedtime which I did and I'm wired! He said it was going to make me drowsy. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have not heard of that drug but hope it helps! The fact it messes with your sleep has to be frustrating…sigh! I haven’t had the numbness either…wow! I hope you get some relief soon!

I have the numbness doctors told me not to worry about it! Then I think to myself it not happening to you! The headaches I have I get shots in my neck and back of my head they work wonderfully. (ask your Neuro) I also take migralief over the counter(internet) This works very well for headaches and muscle pain. I could not take all the medications they were giving me (Topamax, Cymbalta, imterx, vicodin, flexadrall, and serveral others) They either made me sick to my stomach or where I could not sleep, sleep to much, or just plain out of it completely!!! It was all to much stopped everything before finding a doctor that would listen to me about the drugs and to find alternet treatment