Drug changes

Is anyone been placed on a low dose chemo drug?? Does it help? My dr wants to change me from plaqunil to low dose chemo because the plaqunil makes me so sick at my stomach

How long have you been on plaquenil? When I began plaquenil I also had similar side effects that lasted about a month the first time I began taking it. The second time I began it, the side effects only lasted about 2 weeks. I know plaquenil affects everybody differently and some just can’t tolerate it.
Also, I wonder if low dose chemo would also cause you to feel sick to your stomach. I’m on plaquenil, never had low dose chemo. I hope those that are or have been on it can help you.

I have been on and off plaqunil for over two years now same effect every time. Chemo can be injected bypassing stomach issues. I talked to pharmacist and he has about12 people taking it with good results no side effects. Side effects mostly come from high dose treatments for cancer

I was on low dose and hated it lost thirty pounds due to upset stomach and it did little to help my achy joints.. Switched to Cellcept.... SO far so good on stomach but too soon to tell about joints

What is the name of the low dose chemo drug?

Thanks,

Lonely

Oops... Methotrexate

Have you tried taking the Plaquenil at night? That way you can sleep through the side effects Methotrexate may or may not cause nausea also

May I ask the name of the Chemo drug? I've been on Plaquenil and Cellcept for the last 10+ years... When I was first diagnosed I was on Cytoxan (chemo drug) for 6 months, then they put me on Cellcept to take the Cytoxan's place...

I had a very hard time at first with Plaquenil, my stomach hurt badly but if I made sure to have a full stomach and take it at night it was better. Now I have no problem. My nurse also told me if you take the name brand versus the generic that helps very much with the stomach pain and side effects as well. I heard much worse side effects from the methotrexate.

Took me a while to take plaque nil. I take both doses at night now. I’m also on methotrexate which made me very sick, but starting to adjust and take that at night with a full stomach. Both meds help me a lot

I thought you might be talking about methotrexate. I was prescribed plaquenil and predisone when I was first dx just recently. After weening off the predisone over 8 weeks to give the plaquenil enough time to get in my system and work its magic, I went back to my doctor because my neck, shoulders and shoulder blades hurt so much I could not lay down on them so I sat in a recliner with pillows around me so I didn't touch any of my sore spots. So the doctor put me on methotrexate along with the plaquenil. I also had to take folic acid because of taking the methotrexate. She also put me back on predisone to help my body while the mexthotrexate kicked in.

Here is what I want you all to be aware of so you don't go through what I am going through.

I picked up my prescription for methotrexate at Walmart. The label stated " take 4 tablets daily for a week and if tolerated take 6 tablets once a week". The folic acid was to be taken on the 7th day when I don't take the methotrexate. So 3 weeks ago I contacted my doctor's office to have them send my prescription to my mail order drug store to save me the $45.00 co-pay. The nurse says "you have enough until August". I said no because I had to take 28 the first week and she went crazy. Of course she thought I had done something wrong - NOT! Walmart had mislabeled the bottle which should have said to start out with 4 tablet once a WEEK!, not daily as the bottle was labeled. An overdose of this drug is very serious as I found out and good thing I wanted it to go to my online pharmacy or it would not have been found until something happened or never. An overdose of this drug can destroy your bone marrow or cause trouble with the liver and kidney function. Like I needed more things to deal with! Now I have to go every week for blood tests so they can monitor my blood count and liver function. I had to take another pill for 10 days that was a super strong folic acid to try to rid my body of the extra medicine and I have to stay on predisone until they can get this all straightened out. I went to talk to the pharmacist at Walmart and they acted like it was nothing. Being on the predisone puts so much weight on me I can't do very much. I had gone through the complete process and had my date set for bariatic surgery, but that has been put off indiffenetly, if ever.

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted those that may be going on methotrexate to double check the instructions for taking it.

Have a nice day. Warm thought for all of you,

Lonely

The drug is methotrexate and we discussed doing injection on e a week to bypass stomach issues. I was to also add folic acid supplement. My pharmacies said the side effects don’t usually kick in unless you are on higher dose and I am done with plaquenil I can’t handle vomiting and stomach pain

I am also on plaquinel and just recently got off of prednisone and started 3.5 mg, of methotrexate . I take 4 once per wk, and daily supplement of folic acid. Curios to know if I am not suppose to take folic acid the day I take Methotrexate ? Was not told to not take it the same day.
This is the second attempt on this medication. First time I tried it, was really sick before I started it and got even more sick when I was on it. Couldn’t get out if bed. Stopped it because I felt so sick.
Now I take it every Saturday night. It puts me to sleep which is helpful since I have insomnia.
Have slight side effects like: mild diarrhea, blurry vision, bruise easily, and just recently been complaining of my left hip hurting (not to bad but uncomfortable) . Not sure if that’s from Methotrexate .
Just started it about 3 weeks ago and heard that takes up to 3 months for it to really take effect.
Still having stiffness, swelling and joint pain. Just not all the time and not as long.
Hope this helps and can get some suggestions from those who have been on it longer.
Wish everyone a pain free week.

My doctor told me not to take the folic acid on the day I was to take the methotrexate, but on the other 6 days.

I have been on the methotrexate for over a year along with frolic acid and plaquenil. I take the methotrexate on Friday night along with a full meal, not just a snack or salad. When I started taking it, I would sometimes have just a salad for dinner and I would be so nauseous all weekend. I found that eating a meal with protein and some starch eased the nauseous ness on Saturday. I grew to tolerate the methotrexate and am rarely nauseous.

It also made me lose some hair at the start, including all of the hair on my arms and legs! But that also went away after a month or so. It has been a big help for me in the long run as part of my medicine “cocktail”. Have had only mild flares that were related to stress and lack if sleep.

I have been on the methotrexate for over a year along with frolic acid and plaquenil. I take the methotrexate on Friday night along with a full meal, not just a snack or salad. When I started taking it, I would sometimes have just a salad for dinner and I would be so nauseous all weekend. I found that eating a meal with protein and some starch eased the nauseous ness on Saturday. I grew to tolerate the methotrexate and am rarely nauseous.

It also made me lose some hair at the start, including all of the hair on my arms and legs! But that also went away after a month or so. It has been a big help for me in the long run as part of my medicine “cocktail”. Have had only mild flares that were related to stress and lack if sleep.

I was on methotrexate and folic acid (along with plaq, cellcept, pred and pain meds)for about 9 months. It REALLY helped in the beginning, but I began to get very sick to my stomach from it, almost non-functional. Methotrexate helped with my joint pain tremendously. I was very disappointed that it didn’t work out for me. That doesn’t mean that it will not work for you! Please give it a try, it may be your blessing. Good luck and hope it works for you!

Mona did you try taking it in shot form to by pass stomach problems… I hate to hear so many stories of what doesn’t work. I have four kids the youngest is just seven and I have a lot of his life that I still need energy for