Do Pain Meds like hydrocodone increase your fatigue?

I believe that the Narco (hydrocodone makes me more fatigued. I took one to bring my pain level down so that I can do some housework but now I just want to take a nap. My ambition is sapped. I just wanna stay on the couch.

Do pain meds impact anyone else this way?

Yes! They knock me out. Even if I take half of the dose given, I will still fall asleep.

Yep - I avoid if at all possible cause I will then spend the day on the sofa- defeating the purpose of taking the med in the first place

same here. pain meds knock me out.

Hydrocodone has the same exact effect on me as well.

It actually gives me energy and focus! I know that sounds weird. The only other person I know who gets the same energy from it is my brother and he has myathesia gravis. Maybe it is genetic that we react this way.

When I have had to take Norco for pleurisy, in order for it not to knock me out I would cut them in half. The doctor would give me a good strength that I could only take every 6 hours, so I would take a half a pill every 3 hours. It would help with my pain and discomfort, and not make me fall asleep.

The same things happens with me and my son. It is such a relief to have the pain lessened that I get ambitious and have to be careful not to overdue. Other times I get sleepy when I have been losing too much due to pain. Ultram though makes me very sleepy and I itch worse with it.

geneva21 said:

It actually gives me energy and focus! I know that sounds weird. The only other person I know who gets the same energy from it is my brother and he has myathesia gravis. Maybe it is genetic that we react this way.

Almost all narcotics make me sleepy even when broken in halves and quarters. It is a trade off, always having to decide if the pain is too much to deal with over being alert. I have a vascular necrosis so am in constant

Pain. I am on a pain patch that spreads the meds over time ( 72 hrs) so the side effects are almost non existent. Lupus is such a catch 22 disease, I am always trying to decide what is the most benign options in medications. There really are no easy answers.

I’ve taken it so long now, but I remember it made me terribly sleepy when I first started taking it (I can remember nodding off on our honeymoon trip! lol) But after a while I acclimated to it, and it doesn’t make me sleepy anymore. I do think it might be just another factor contributing to the overall fatigue, though. On the other hand, if I didn’t take it, the pain would be so severe, I’d get no sleep or relief ever, so I’d be totally wiped out 24/7. It’s admittedly kind of a no-win situation, but I am definitely better off with than without it, on balance.

I ditto helliongoddess… it’s always a tradeoff it seems. I set the alarm on my cell phone & ipad to time my naps after taking pain meds. but remember you need rest stops during the day so try to pace it out.

I usually take half my dose then a nap most of the time after that I can do some things around the house.

They use to give me more energy....but pain medication of narcotic kind eventually do affect the brain negatively. After using fentanyl patch for 7 years now, i have noticed that things i use to enjoy such as cooking, art, etc well i just do not have any ambition to do. All my doctors including pain, say it is most likely due to to fentanyl.

Now here is the real issue....no one is willing to help me get off the patches. I finally did get pain to say he try but how he sabotages me is he says i must first get off all break through ...without him giving me anything to help with breakthrough pain. So i am set up to fail.

When i point this out he just shrugs. I asked about using TENS which i know many people have had great luck with for back pain which is mainly my breakthrough pain and he will not order it.

So i am frustrated in that they say it is causing my lack of ambition but do not care, it seems. I know the pain person does want me physically addicted on it so i must see him monthly for my script. It is huge income when you add up all people in waiting room most only there to get their scripts so 10 minutes max...you do the math...and mine charges over $200 for an office visit!!

a scam!

So i say to anyone considering using narcotic pain reliever....you really better consider what will happen if you cannot get the script...you will go in withdrawal! It is not fun at all plus you are stuck going monthly too. I really ask about the cons not just pros about narcotic pain relievers...i wish someone had been more honest about with me.

Narco is about to be included in schedule 2 drugs so you will be in same boat as other narcotic pain relievers soon. If i was using it...i start weaning off it now and switch to another like motrin.

Yes, these just knock me out completely. Then when I wake up I'm groggy the rest of the day. My husband has been taking them, and muscle relaxers as well after his rotater cuff surgery as he was just commenting on his fatigue the other day as well.

Reet, glad to hear that I am not the only one! Maybe it is genetic that we respond differently.

Thanks!

reet said:

The same things happens with me and my son. It is such a relief to have the pain lessened that I get ambitious and have to be careful not to overdue. Other times I get sleepy when I have been losing too much due to pain. Ultram though makes me very sleepy and I itch worse with it.

geneva21 said:

Hi
As per Dr.Gary M Levin’s book on lupus tratment, he recommend omega3 supplement
of 3000mg dosage per day, would make difference in pain management.

I got this re confirmed in the local medical journals too.

I found two companies seems to be reliable on their claims of manufacturing process.

1. INNATE CHOICE.
  2. ICELANDIC FORMULA4.

To start with. i tried the second one, my wife is taking it from feb 2013,
I think it is working, since we are taking many integrated steps, i am not giving complete cedit to it. (She takes krill oil pill too.)

Now she has manageable pain and important thing is without her corticosteroid.

Karthik

Karthik said:
Hi
As per Dr.Gary M Levin's book on lupus tratment, he recommend omega3 supplement
of 3000mg dosage per day, would make difference in pain management.

I got this re confirmed in the local medical journals too.

I found two companies seems to be reliable on their claims of manufacturing process.
1. INNATE CHOICE.
2. ICELANDIC FORMULA4.

To start with. i tried the second one, my wife is taking it from feb 2013,
I think it is working, since we are taking many integrated steps, i am not giving complete cedit to it. (She takes krill oil pill too.)

Now she has manageable pain and important thing is without her corticosteroid.

Karthik
I'm very glad it helps her. I've been taking four Loveza (prescription high-dose very highly refined fish oil) for my cholesterol for over a year, and after reading about all the great effects it's supposed to have on the immune system, arthritis, etc., I started taking Carlsons Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, 4 of the lemon capsules a day. Carlsons is reputed to be one of the purest and to have one of the highest concentrations of the beneficial omega fatty acids, plus natural vit.D & A. With that much fish oil, I should be growing gills by now, but I have yet to see any beneficial effects on my pain or fatigue levels. But I'll keep trying. Truthfully, I think I felt more of a positive effect when I was taking 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil a day, but I stopped because I've been gaining weight (from inactivity more than anything) and I was trying to keep my calorie count below 1500/day, and 200 or more for the coc.oil made it even more grim. Coconut oil has some different fatty acids - caprylic and myristic, among others, I think - that the fish oil doesn't. (My cholesterol numbers were coming down with loveza & coc.oil, too, as I remember.) Just something to consider, if the regimen your wife is on at the moment ever becomes less effective. (I'm working the coconut oil in now by subbing it and coconut manna for other fats in my diet, rather than adding those "medicinal spoonfuls.")

I

Ann A. said:

I do not take cod liver oil because I am concerned about the antagonism between vitamin A and vitamin D and I get so much A from carrots and other veggies that I eat or juice every day. I am a consumer of flax seeds. I grind them into my morning smoothie almost every day. So that is how I get my omega-3 and then lignans to do great things for my cholesterol.

I use coconut oil in my cooking for the medium chain fatty acids. I also use coconut oil in my hair and on my skin. I try to resist putting anything on my skin that I would not put in my mouth because I know that whatever is put on the skin is absorbed.

I also use foods and spices -cherry (gonna have a tart cherry slushie in a few minutes), ginger etc to help deal with inflammation. Unfortunately part of my SI problem is mechanical because my right leg is shorter, smaller, and weaker. Trying to to strengthen the leg is painful from the SI joint to the bottom of the foot. The point of the hydrocodone was to help me rehab through the pain. So sitting on the couch is really unacceptable.

My reward for traveling to PA is a flare up in a stomach ulcer. I will treat it with aloe vera juice and DGL, as well as cabbage juice or one if its active constituents. 35 years ago ulcer pain would have sent me to the ER. Even 25 years ago I would have gone to my physician for a script. I bet there is a prilosec somewhere in this house but I know longer think that it is a good idea to turn my stomach’s acid pump off. I try to keep the meds to a minimum. I try to make sure that they are more beneficial than detrimental to my health.

I think I have found the cause of my bad mood and my lethargy. At least I have a hypothesis to test and that alone may end the lethargy.

It's nice to find someone else who's interested in vitamins and natural foods and remedies! Sounds like we have similar approaches and ideas. I started turning to the supplements and natural remedies, and drastically cleaned up my diet, all in the hopes of both improving some (any!) of the health problems I face, and to reduce the number of prescription drugs I was taking, which had gotten ridiculous (now I just take a ridiculous amount of supplements! *lol*)

I am firmly convinced the fish & coconut oil are largely responsible for my lower cholesterol, the cinnamon helps keep my blood sugars lower, and the turmeric helps me avoid the need for constant high doses of NSAIDS for my arthritic and other inflammation issues. There are other ones, too, but I’ve already gone on and on here (and am kinda off-topic from the original post!)

Just one more thing… I had taken the highest prescribed doses of both Prilosec and Zantac for years, and my stomach was still really messed up - it got to where even bland formerly “safe” foods were bothering me. Then I got a really bad leg break from a minor fall, & I learned what long-term use of those meds does to your bones. But with a combination of daily probiotics (usually both a capsule and some yogurt or kefir) and at least 1 tbsp. a night at bedtime of high- factor manuka honey, I’ve been off the Prilosec & Zantac for ages now, and I can eat pretty much anything without worrying. I’ve become a real convert, when it comes to that honey - it’s amazing stuff. (And I don’t even need to take it at all now, unless for some reason my tummy gets out of whack- if so then a spoon a day for a few says usually takes care of it.)