Abstaining from sugar

Has anyone tried abstaining from processed sugar for long periods and notice a difference in health?

I noticed a big difference in how I felt. My fatigue and my overall health was better, my mood was better. I'm going to have to detox again, I've been eating sweets, potatoes and processed foods again. My husband gives it up for awhile, but he has to have something sweet, and then I have just a bite and there I go again, especially when I have no appetite, nothing sounds good, and I really have no interest in food. So why do I eat it?

This is a great question as I am trying to stop today myself. I had an M&M binge!! I have been bad lately and am chubbier than ever, but I also feel pretty good. Doesn't make sense. I need to lose some weight though so I will try. I always crave salt after the sugar, I usually have the low calorie popcorn and that helps.

Like Trisha I have no interest in food so I always grab the wrong thing. My husband is a foodie and that doesn't help!

Let us know if you have any success.

No sugar, no gluten, no dairy, no nightshades here. It made a huge difference in swelling and inflammation. :slight_smile:

Just like Steinfadt1 ,No gluten, no dairy , no nightshades, no alcohol and no coffee. It sound almost insane but IT WORKS!!! I am not tired anymore, I have a normal life, I exercise and the inflammation in my feet is gone. I used to have dry mouth all the time and terrible cramps after eating. At home I have the support of my husband so I don't buy food that I can't eat and if I go somewhere I take my food. Once in a while I learn to enjoy bitter chocolate or just a little bit of wine that I treasure in my hands and make it last!. It's hard but it was worth it. Funny things is the whole family had benefit from my diet. My husband lost weight and his rosacea is gone.

I have to try it… Lawd help me!! It’s hard lol.

I won't lie to you it is very hard!!! it's steel is sometimes, but nothings is worse than spending your life on a coach feeling sick and tired. I have a friend that has to do dialysis and she is hook to a machine for 5 hours every other day for the rest of her life. So when I feel stressed for the diet I try to think that is not too bad, at least we have a way out. Good luck to you !! I started a diary the day I started this diet and post it here. Go for it!!!!

I forgot. Yes I am caffeine and alcohol free too :slight_smile:

Donatella said:

Just like Steinfadt1 ,No gluten, no dairy , no nightshades, no alcohol and no coffee. It sound almost insane but IT WORKS!!! I am not tired anymore, I have a normal life, I exercise and the inflammation in my feet is gone. I used to have dry mouth all the time and terrible cramps after eating. At home I have the support of my husband so I don't buy food that I can't eat and if I go somewhere I take my food. Once in a while I learn to enjoy bitter chocolate or just a little bit of wine that I treasure in my hands and make it last!. It's hard but it was worth it. Funny things is the whole family had benefit from my diet. My husband lost weight and his rosacea is gone.

I have been trying dietary changes as well. I have made them jsut one or two at atime. First dropped the gluten and artificial sweetners. Saw a little improvement after 2 weeks. Then dropped sugar, except for a tiny honey in my coffee and my smoothies. Some improvement again. Last thing I have stopped is dairy and after about 3 months I have seen a big improvement in all my symptoms. I think nightshades will be next, but it has been easier for me to give up one thing at a time. Not quite so overwhelming for me or my family.

Is definitely a slow process, my nutritionist made me wright down the symptoms as I was changing the diet, that was very helpful. I have to say I had to learn to trust my body, I was doing a lot of juicing. Who would think juicing is not good for you!! The more I was juicing the worse I would feel... but I kept going because it's supposed to be good for you. Once I stopped I got so much better. It also helped a lot a blood work that had done that they test the reaction of your blood with each food you eat, that was very helpful. I could never guess that I had a reaction to chicken and colorants. She gave me a long list of food that I reacted to from really bad to nothing.

There is also a sychologycal process, small steps and lot's of patience, Good luck with your process... keep in touch I would love to help!

Geneva,

Thanks for your honesty. Yes we all have our cravings and its really a mind thing to find alternatives. Organic airpopped corn is good, instead of salt I use pepper. I save the salt for things I feel really need it. If you are good at sticking to a commitment, then I know you'll make it. I usually carve out 21 days on my calander when I do and I am more empowered by that time I take to read labels and see whats in them for future reference. Also I sometimes pick up some good habits or discover a new natural sweet. Post here and let me know how your plan pans out:)

geneva21 said:

This is a great question as I am trying to stop today myself. I had an M&M binge!! I have been bad lately and am chubbier than ever, but I also feel pretty good. Doesn't make sense. I need to lose some weight though so I will try. I always crave salt after the sugar, I usually have the low calorie popcorn and that helps.

Like Trisha I have no interest in food so I always grab the wrong thing. My husband is a foodie and that doesn't help!

Let us know if you have any success.

Trisha,

It sounds like your on the right path and similiar to what I've noticed. Most that I have talked to in person tell me they have sugar and could never give it up (including MS patients) and I do believe there is a connection. Personal experience has shown me I get very sick and even sneezing after eating a frosting filled doughnut. That takes a lot of willpower and you have to exercise it often to be able to resist your husbands habits. As for the why, I believe dopamine has to do with why you see it and want it. The more green vegetable smoothies you have, the less craving you have for those things.

Trisha said:

I noticed a big difference in how I felt. My fatigue and my overall health was better, my mood was better. I'm going to have to detox again, I've been eating sweets, potatoes and processed foods again. My husband gives it up for awhile, but he has to have something sweet, and then I have just a bite and there I go again, especially when I have no appetite, nothing sounds good, and I really have no interest in food. So why do I eat it?

Thanks Steinfadt1, that's 3 of us that have noticed a difference:)

Steinfadt1 said:

No sugar, no gluten, no dairy, no nightshades here. It made a huge difference in swelling and inflammation. :)

Awesome, that makes 4 of us. Yes I've cut a lot of alchol too, coffee is still downfall for me. When I have gone without caffeine I've been very cranky & scrambling for anything to keep awake naturally...but when I have done it gradually where I start forgetting about it, the energy is AMAZING! This is all good news Donatella, I hope that you and your family can continue on this path of a better quality of life:)

Donatella said:

Yes it is. But if you are good at keeping a comitment, you promise aloud to someone or others that you are doing something then you will get through it if you are someone of your word. I know for myself if I say I'm going to do something, I'd better, otherwise the compromise lessens my resistence to not following through again.

tjmckay said:

I have to try it.. Lawd help me!! It's hard lol.

Thanks... it feels good to know that there is somebody out there in the same path, it gets hard sometimes. What keeps me going is the energy...before lupus I was always active, nothing like loosing the energy to really appreciated !! Like you said the energy is amazing. Coffee is very hard ... I have an expresso machine that makes the best frothy coffee ! but I got used to it too. I found at the mall a fancy tee that taste good.

Keep it up Donatella, I'm always learning new things and ways for better living.

I have been trying to go gluten free, but have not given up sugar. I end up slipping quite a bit with the gluten free, but when I do I try to go back to it right away. It's not easy, but I keep trying because all the signs seem to suggest that I have some sort of absorption problem (i.e. I'm not processing food correctly).

Yes -after trying bio feedback. I am fortunate to have physicians & chiropractor that support each other. (some chiropractors are anti medical doctors & vise versa)

Let me tell you - I was very skeptical & hate change. At first I thought the lady was a quack but it was amazing the things she was able to pinpoint without any background info what so ever. After initial visit I tried to cut out sugar cold turkey. I was an absolute nightmare and emotional disaster. I said forget this & went back to sugar. I finally - gradually cut out sugar . It was amazing how much clearer skin was & flares didn't seem as bad. I have no will power so I found myself over indulging & miserable. I stay away from sugar & processed foods but......I will allow myself a snack size candy when I feel the urge to over do it. I also started to read labels & research foods more because it is crazy the places sugar "hides". I also cut back on gluten & dairy. Which also helps.

It is a struggle (at least for me) but worth it. Best of Luck!

I’m gluten free. I actually have ciliac disease. It took a good 3 months for me to notice anything but I saw a big chNge in my belly pain. Plus, I know when I cheat and accidentally eat just a little gluten. I don’t know if I can cut out sugar. I have steroid induced diabetes and still have a sugar issue.